Most of us feel lonely from time to time. Still, some of us are at a greater risk as other factors contribute to this crippling feeling such as moving to another country & not knowing the language as a first language, old age, social anxiety, living alone, and many more. The current climate regarding the coronavirus pandemic made everyone feel more and more isolated with lockdowns, losing loved ones, not feeling safe, and not feeling supported by the government and/or society.
The Dialogue Society, in partnership with Time to Help UK, aim to start a befriending campaign to connect and bring people together to tackle loneliness. With their project, “Talking Bubble”, they will create a phone-befriending service that matches people most at risk of loneliness with bilingual volunteers to get in touch with one another, check in on each other, and most importantly create friendships that will make life better.
The purpose of the project includes:
- Supporting people most at risk of loneliness
- Effective services to address and tackle loneliness
- Building bridges and dialogue amongst communities
- Inspiring people to connect with others
- End chronic loneliness by establishing a friendship
- Creating social connections and maintaining wellbeing
- Boosting morale and spirit