Patients are being urged to get organised ahead of the summer bank holiday on Monday 26th August, collect prescriptions in advance and to consider self-care for minor, short term conditions.
There are a range of services and options available over the bank holiday with some community pharmacies open on each day. Pharmacists offer expert health advice and can recommend over-the-counter medicines to provide relief from many minor, short term conditions such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains.
Dr. Jeffrey Schryer, Chair of NHS Bury Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and local GP said: “Keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet and a well-prepared first aid kit at home can help you deal with the most common illnesses and minor injuries at home. A pharmacist can offer advice and guidance about over-the-counter medicines to help with symptoms.
“Whilst self-care is generally the best option for minor, short term conditions, it is important that local people know where to go or who to contact if they are unwell, so that they can receive the best possible treatment in the quickest time for their condition.”
Choosing the right service:
- NHS website nhs.uk – your complete guide to conditions, symptoms and treatments, including what to do and when to get help.
- NHS 111 (dial 111) can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. You can also access NHS 111 online 111.nhs.uk
- Your local community pharmacy can help with lots of everyday ailments, pharmacists are experts about medicines. See the table below for pharmacies open on the bank holiday (Monday 26th August)*.
- GP practice services will be limited. Through Bury’s extended working hours service appointments will be available over the weekend and bank holiday Monday from 8am until 6pm at three ‘hub’ locations across the borough. Appointments may not be with your usual GP. Patients should contact their GP practice first for availability.
- Bury Walk-in centre first floor Moorgate Primary Care Centre, 22 Derby Way, Bury, BL9 0NJ is open 7am until 3pm seven days a week. The last check in is 30 minutes prior to closing to allow staff to effectively and appropriately assess people.
- Prestwich Walk-in centre Fairfax Road, Prestwich M25 1BT is open 12 noon until 8pm seven days a week. The last check in is 30 minutes prior to closing to allow staff to effectively and appropriately assess people.
- A&E and 999 services should only be used in a critical or life-threatening situation.
*Pharmacies are open over the weekend (Saturday 24th August is a normal working day). Information correct at time of publication, please check availability before you travel.
|Pharmacy name||Telephone No.||August Bank Holiday opening time|
Pilsworth Road, Pilsworth, Bury, BL9 8RS
|0161 351 2510||9am – 6pm|
Spring Street, Bury, BL9 0RN
|0161 447 8219||9am – 6pm|
Riverside Retail Park, Radcliffe, M26 3DA
|9am – 6pm|
185 Rochdale Road, Bury, BL9 7BB
|0161 761 1011||5pm-10pm|
|Tesco In-Store Pharmacy
Peel Way, Bury, BL9 5BY
|0345 677 9080||9am – 6pm|
|Tesco In-Store Pharmacy
Bury New Road, Prestwich, M25 7BL
|0345 677 9552||10 am – 4pm|